The first chartered bank in Texas was founded on Galveston Island in 1847. Until after the Civil War, banks in Texas were basically private merchant-related businesses that happened to loan money or have a safe for people's valuables.
Citizens National Bank was founded in 1868 as Ferris and Getzendaner, Attorneys at Law and Bankers. The bank came into existence before Waxahachie was incorporated in 1871 and for many years was the only banking operation in North Texas. In June, 1884, the name of the financial institution became Citizens National Bank when it was capitalized as a national bank for $100,000.
At the turn of the century, Ellis County had become the largest cotton producing county in the United States. The population had grown 37% in the past decade and in 1905 Citizens National Bank and First National Bank merged under the name of Citizens National Bank of Waxahachie, the same name it kept for 100 years until it became Citizens National Bank of Texas because of its influence and respect throughout the state.
Since 1930, the bank has primarily been owned and led by four generations of the Singleton family. Colonel M.E. Singleton headed the bank out of the grip of the Great Depression and helped double deposits in the eight years he served until his death in 1938. He was honored by his children with the establishment of the M. E. Singleton Scholarship Trust in 1952 which has aided more than 600 students with an excess of $4 million in higher education financial assistance.
The Colonel's son, M.E. "Marvin" Singleton, Jr. assumed the leadership of the bank in 1938 and not only served as the bank’s President for almost 50 years, but also achieved high esteem as a leader in the community.
Upon Marvin's passing in 1987, he was succeeded by his son George H. Singleton who served as President until 1994 when his son, M.E. “Mark” Singleton III, took leadership of the bank. The bank has grown dynamically since the beginning of the millennium and now has 12 branches and more than $700 million in total assets.